Southwest Airlines Seat Upgrade
Last updated on October 28th, 2022 at 06:09 pm
This guide deals with Southwest Airlines Seat Upgrade. Everyone knows that seat upgrades on Southwest Airlines are entirely different from any other airline. And that is why this guide also touches on that point in the middle.
Thus for the most comprehensive material on Southwest Airlines upgrades, if you are looking, you are in the right place.
If interested: Southwest Airlines Manage Booking
Upgrade to Business Select on Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines only offers the following cabin classes:
- Wanna Get Away
- Business Select
And, when it comes to seat upgradation, the list holds nothing but only one option — it gets narrowest. The option it has is Upgrade to Business Select.
Thus, if you wish to upgrade to Business Select on Southwest Airlines from your current fare type — WannaGetAway or Anytime, whatever the case may be, come along.
Below, we are going to talk about how you can upgrade with Southwest Airlines and the benefits you get as a result of the upgrade.
By the way, you can always use the following TFN to delegate your tasks and make airline processes a little bit faster than ever; +1-888-503-5334. Thus, you can use the toll-free number even to upgrade your seat to Business Select on Southwest Airlines.
How to Upgrade
In case you want to upgrade over a phone call, the toll-free number is mentioned above. Or, if you want to do it all by yourself — doesn’t matter how much time it takes, the process is discussed below.
- Visit Southwest Airlines’ official website; for that, you can google Southwest Airlines and then click on the link to the same;
- On the homepage, scroll down to Southwest Products and locate the link saying Upgrade to Business Select; and,
- Once located, click on the link and it will lead you to the following interface;
- Here, fill out the search and hit the continue button; and,
- After that, proceed as it instructs you further.
That has been the online upgrade process with Southwest Airlines. To just mention if you haven’t already noticed, there is something written above in the image to your left beside the search component.
It is nothing but the benefits that you get under Business Select. And, therefore when you upgrade your seat on a Southwest plane, you get such benefits too. To read these benefits in detail, you may like to refer to the section below — where we specifically talk about the same.
Benefits under Business Select
- Rapid Rewards Benefit: When you upgrade to Business Select, the first benefit is that you get mile points on each dollar spent with Southwest. In southwest Airlines’ terminology, such points or miles are called Rapid Rewards. So, when you fly Business Select, you earn Rapid Rewards on your spending.
- Refund Benefit: On Southwest Airlines, Business Select is the refundable fare type. When you fly on a Business Select ticket with Southwest Airlines, you are entitled to receive a refund on appropriate occasions, i.e., cancelation, change, etc.
And, therefore if you upgrade to Business Select on Southwest Airlines, your ticket becomes refundable, too.
- On Availability Benefits: The on-availability benefits are those which can only be used by flyers flying Business Select when they are available. If such benefits are not available, you cannot request for them.
The following are the specific examples of on-availability benefits, same-day change benefits, standby benefits, priority check-in eligibility, and priority security lane eligibility. So, if you have upgraded to Business Select, you become entitled to such facilities on availability — that just means when they are available, you will be able to use them; and when not, you won’t.
- Priority Boarding: On Southwest Airlines, instead of seats, boarding groups (A, B, and C) and positions(1-60) in queues are assigned to passengers. Thus If you have a Business Select ticket, you are assigned any combination out of the following range from A1 to A15.
And, being part of the A1-A15 boarding group means priority boarding. And that is because the A1-A15 boarding group boards the plane first and then the number of the A16-C60 boarding group comes.
Thus when you upgrade to Business Select, you also get the benefit of priority boarding being part of the first boarding group.
- Free Beverage Benefit: Now, it is time to talk about Beverages. Flying Business Select on Southwest Airlines also means the provision of complementary high-quality beverages. So, if you have just upgraded to Business Select, you are going to be entitled to such inflight beverage servings.
How is Southwest Airlines Seat Upgrade Different from Other Airlines?
Talking about seat upgrades on Southwest Airlines is always different than any other airline. Why? Because, on Southwest Airlines, things work differently.
When we talk about a seat upgrade on any other airline but Southwest, that always means a change in the quality of the seating arrangement, i.e., moving from a less-comfortable seat to something more comfortable. However, that is not the case when we talk about the concept of seat upgrades in relation to Southwest Airlines.
On Southwest Airlines, an upgrade does not have anything to do with the change in the quality of the existing seat (the seat before the upgrade). Instead, everyone, on a Southwest flight, has to fly sitting on the same type of seats irrespective of fare types. And, thus upgrades mean no seat quality upgradation but the acquisition of additional perks and benefits that are attached to the cabin class to which a seat is upgraded.
For example, suppose you were previously planned to fly Wanna Get Away on Southwest Airlines, but now you have upgraded to Business Select. In that case, your seat will be the same as before but you will get additional benefits in the name of the upgrade.
And, that is why an upgrade has a different meaning when discussed in the context of Southwest Airlines.
What to Do if Upgrade to Business Select doesn’t Work for Me?
It may be the case that the option of upgrading to business select simply does not work for you. If that is actually the case with you, in this section, we are going to discuss two alternative ideas for you to help yourself out.
However, they, too, may not be feasible to you considering all the possibilities.
So, the alternatively big ideas are:
- Purchase a Boarding Upgrade, or
- Purchase EarlyBird Check-In.
Let’s elaborate on these purchase options at some length.
What is Upgraded Boarding on Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines gives a chance to its passengers to improve their boarding experience at the airport. And, this chance is present in the form of the option to upgrade one’s boarding experience.
Have a look at the screenshot below,
How things work on Southwest Airlines has already been discussed. Thus if you went through that, you must have noticed the “Get an A1-A15 boarding position” words right below the “Upgraded Boarding” heading in blue in the image above. And, in addition to that, you must also have understood the real meaning or purpose of the option.
If you didn’t, let me tell you. If you want to make yourself part of the first boarding group, you can do so by paying. For that matter, Southwest provides the interface shown in the screenshot above.
Now, you may be thinking about how that relates to our discussion of alternatives to upgrades on Southwest. But, in actuality, it has a lot to do with that topic. If you don’t want to get any Business Select special benefits, but a seat of your choice, early boarding through purchasing an upgrade can really help you achieve the goal.
Suppose you have boarded earlier than any other passengers. In that case, you can choose a seat of your own choice — provided that the quality of the seat remains the same throughout the plane. So, that is an alternative kind of upgrading; you may not like it but that is that. If Business Select doesn’t work for you, you may have to do with that.
Now, let’s move on to the next purchase option.
What is the EarlyBird Check-In Option on Southwest Airlines
Southwest EarlyBird Check-In is a facility provided by Southwest Airlines where if a passenger purchases it, they will be automatically checked in within 36 hours before the scheduled departure.
And, if not anything, it may help you in boarding earlier than the passengers who are late. So, it could help you in your favorite seat selection on board.
Thus, if Upgrade to Business Select doesn’t work for you, you may consider this too — purchasing EarlyBird Check-In.
Submit your review