Delta Airlines Unaccompanied Minor
The experience of flying is delightful, whether it’s solo or with others. Adults may frequently be flying, but the case is not with children. However, what will parents do when their child has to travel solo. Of course, every parent wants the safety of their kids. And thankfully, the delta unaccompanied minor program is there, which gives a lot of relief to the concerned parents. When children or minors travel alone on Delta flights, they take every possible step to ensure the child is safe, comfortable and enjoying a positive flight travel experience.
This blog aims to share all the details related to Delta airlines unaccompanied minor program with the guidelines. If parents are well aware, the guardian won’t face any issues while sending the minor to the flight. In addition, parents should explore Delta airlines unaccompanied minor guidelines. It offers features like a trackable wristband, a Sky Zone lounge for kids, and a Delta personnel escort for your child throughout their travel day.
Delta Airlines mandates minors aged 5-14 to be accompanied through the airport for an added charge. If the youngster is under the age of four, they should be accompanied by an adult passenger at least eighteen years old. Several restrictions and regulations apply based on your child’s age and maybe their travel destination; for more information, keep reading this informative blog.
- Delta Airlines considers children aged 5-14 years who fly alone on the same plane without an accompanying adult passenger, known or unknown, as unaccompanied minors.
- Delta offers an unaccompanied minor reservation service for a fee, including a Delta employee escorting the youngster through the airport.
- However, a youngster under the age of four should accompany by an adult passenger aged 18 or older.
Delta Airlines has several restrictions and limitations regarding a child’s age and location.
- Most importantly, the rules apply based on the age of the child at the travel time, not at the time of flight booking.
- The following are the age restrictions for unaccompanied minors:
- A youngster under the age of four is not permitted to fly alone and should be accompanied by an adult passenger on the same trip who must be 18 years old.
- Only limited nonstop flights are available for children aged 5-7.
- A youngster between 8 and 14 can fly on connected and some nonstop flights.
- Regular passengers between the ages of 15 and 17 are permitted to travel.
- However, if the parent pays the required money, they can use the unaccompanied minor reservation service for their satisfaction and the child’s comfort.
Also check: How to manage your delta airlines booking
This fee applies to travel within the United States and internationally on connecting and nonstop flights and the ticketed adult fare.
- If a parent chooses to participate in the unaccompanied minor program, the $150 fee is required for children aged 5-14 and 15-17.
- If numerous children, such as siblings, travel together, the cost covers up to four children.
- The fee can be paid at check-in, one-way or round-trip, or in advance by dialing.
- Unaccompanied minors must purchase an adult ticket.
- Travel is allowed on Delta and Delta Connection flights and domestic and international routes.
- Unaccompanied minors can only fly on other Delta, Air France, Delta Connection, and KLM flights.
- Red Eye flights and the last connecting flight of the day are not allowed to travel.
- Flights between 9:00 PM & 5:00 AM are known as red-eye flights.
- Some exceptions may apply if a qualified connection flight is unavailable from the airport.
If the minor is traveling alone, an adult 18 years of age or older should accompany them throughout the check-in process and meet them at their destination. In addition, parents should go over the process with their unaccompanied minors to help them prepare for their flight.
Parents must contact Delta customer service to determine the eligibility and book a flight ticket for an unaccompanied minor. When parents make a booking, the staff provides the four-digit PIN configuration that they need to make any modifications to the itinerary.
Please look for a Delta Airport customer service representative for information on unaccompanied minor travel pick-up and drop-off when you head to the airport. Your youngster will be issued a wristband to wear throughout the journey and a package of boarding documents and identity to carry while traveling. In addition, the accompanying adult should provide the documents information at check-in. The documents are the contact details of the parents, address, name, and contact number of the adult who will accompany the unaccompanied minor to their destination.
- Unaccompanied minors must be accompanied to the departure gate by a parent or designated accompanying adult who must remain with them until the flight takes off.
- If the child needs to go to another city, a Delta or business partner employee will accompany them.
- Delta recommends that children sit in the back of the plane, near a flight attendant, for their safety.
For example, your child needs to connect in Atlanta, Detroit, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Memphis, New York (JFK), Salt Lake City, or Seattle.
- Delta Airlines provides Delta Sky Zones for their entertainment in this case.
- Children flying alone can use free phones to call parents or spend time with toys, books, and video games.
- Your child would always find members of staff who will make them feel safe and at ease.
A valid form of identification must be shown, and the person going to meet the child should sign. A parent or accompanying adult should arrive at the destination airport two hours prior to the flight’s scheduled arrival time for getting a gate pass. Please read the following points to gain a better understanding:
- The accompanying adult must contact Delta at (8003258847) with the updated details if the pickup person at the destination changes.
- Assume that the youngster is being picked up by someone other than the person identified at check-in. A Delta agent will contact the original accompanying adult to confirm the pickup person’s identity in this situation.
- The person picking up the unaccompanied child at the destination must first obtain a gate pass.
- The accompanying adult should remain at the gate until the flight’s departure time.
Also check: United airlines student discount
Here are some recommendations to enable an unaccompanied minor to have a pleasant flight.
- Keep carry-on luggage to a bare minimum to prevent losing the stuff. Do not forget to attach their identity card and contact details to the inside & outside of their luggage is an excellent idea.
- Most flights do not provide meal service but may offer only snacks, so it is better to give them food. In addition, you could give the minor some cash to spend if they are hungry, or you could provide them with a debit/credit card.
- Parents can send books, tablets, and toys, such as popular items, to keep their children entertained, as they are excellent entertainment sources for your child.
- Do everything you can to make your child feel at ease and knowledgeable about traveling alone. For example,
- Inform them that they must only contact Delta Airlines staff if they have questions or require help.
- Ensure that they never leave the airport, including the gate area unless accompanied by a badged Delta Airlines staff employee.
Please present a valid form of identification and a copy of your child’s itinerary at the ticket counter, and request an escort pass to allow you to clear security.
One parent may receive a boarding permit from the ticket desk and accompany their child to the gate, where they must remain until the flight departs.
Unaccompanied Minor Service is a service provided by airlines for minors traveling alone. UMS is a frequent abbreviation for this service. Depending on the airline and the personnel providing the service, the quality of the service may differ.
Children aged 5 to 14 must enroll in Delta Air Lines’ Unaccompanied Minor program. If you choose that your 15-17 year old travel without a watchful eye, please notify the staff when making the reservation.
Submit your review