United Airlines Seat Selection Basic Economy
In this ultimate guide, we will analyze United Airlines’ seat selection option for Basic Economy tickets. Thus if you are interested, come along and read either the entire or any section of your choice under the United Airlines Seat Selection Basic Economy definitive guide.
However, to change your Basic Economy seat assignments, call +1-805-270-2709.
United Airlines Seat Selection Basic Economy — Everything You Need to Know
Here, we will talk about everything related to United Airlines’ seat selection. However, the topic of discussion is going to be a bit narrow. In particular, the part of the guide only deals with United Airlines seat selection basic economy.
Before going any further, let’s mention all the cabin classes United Airlines offers to its passengers:
- Basic Economy
- Economy Plus
- United First
- United Premium Plus
- United Polaris Business
Now, we will get back to our main discussion.
United Basic Economy — Is Seat Selection Allowed on a Basic Economy Ticket?
- If you have a Basic Economy ticket on United Airlines, you aren’t eligible for the benefit of complimentary seat selection;
- However, you can change your seat assignment for a fee; and,
- If you can pay for your seat selection or change, the time within which you can make the purchase of a seat assignment of your choice starts from the booking till the check-in.
United Basic Economy — How Can You Purchase a Seat Assignment?
- Anytime for your purchase, you can use the toll-free number +1-805-270-2709;
- However, there are three ways you can do it. You can use any of the following — the official website or the United app, the toll-free number, and the assistance of your agent;
- If no seats are available for the paid assignment, try it later;
- In case of non-availability of seats for seat assignment, try to do it closer to your scheduled departure.
- The reason behind the preceding advice is that many passengers cancel their flights after the booking. Thus in case it happens, you will be able to purchase a preferred seat assignment.
United Basic Economy — When Can You Make a Seat Selection?
- You can make your seat selection at the time of making your reservation;
- You can do the same after making your booking by United Airlines Manage Booking; and,
- You can also purchase the option when you check-in.
United Basic Economy — Is the Seat Guaranteed to be Assigned to Me?
- No, nothing is guaranteed.
- Why? United says it can change the paid assignments as per the demands of schedule shifts, technical glitches, or any other unexpected circumstances.
- However, you don’t need to get worried about it. Unites also says that it always tries to do its best to never ever make changes to the paid assignments. That means unexpected changes to the charged seat assignments are not often to take place.
- Apart from that, if you don’t show up in time, your paid assignment will get canceled.
United Airlines Seat Selection Basic Economy — Preferred Seating
In case, for some reason, you cannot purchase a seat assignment of your own choice on a Basic Economy ticket, don’t get worried. You can purchase Preferred Seating.
What it is and how you can benefit from it both are discussed below at length.
Preferred Seating is one of United Products. In particular, it is a seating option. If you want to make your Basic economy seat a little less tiresome, you can purchase one of the seats that are collectively referred to as Preferred Seating.
It is the best seat selection option for Basic Economy passengers. To demonstrate the same, let’s talk about Basic Economy from a perspective and then get back to Preferred Seating.
United Basic Economy Seat Selection and Preferred Seating
On the united fleet, Basic Economy and Economy are always colored white. And, in the case of Preferred Seating, that is going to be white too but always with a black triangle on each. That has been the seat map color for United Basic Economy and simply Economy.
If we talk about their locations on the plane, Basic Economy exists at the end of the plane while Economy comes right before that. Thus taking from the back, Basic Economy comes first, then Economy.
And, to move a bit further, after Economy, there comes Economy Plus preceded by Premium Economy, United First, and finally, at the front of every seating option, United Polaris.
The sequence is also shown below visually.
Thus if you have booked a Basic Economy on United Airlines, that means you are all at the end of the seating arrangement, which might be as back as 53rd raw in the above seat map. Thus you may want to change your seating assignment. If so, it is best to consider Preferred Seating.
Preferred Seating is the option you can purchase to change your seat assignment on Basic Economy. Therefore if your purchase the facility of Preferred Seating, you get a chance to choose a seat as per your desire from the seats that are white in color and have a black triangle on each, changing the seat primarily assigned to you.
Let’s understand the same with the help of the following visual aid.
The first image shows you the icon of the seats counted under Preferred Seating. The big black arrow points at it. And, thus when you look carefully at the seat map, you will find that there are only four seats left under the Preferred Seating program or facility, respectively in the 28th, 30th, 31st, and 32nd rows.
Now, move on to the second image. It illustrates our example above. Let’s get back to that again. Suppose your current basic economy seat is in the 40th row — refer to the black arrow in the 2nd image above. And, you want to make it to the window seat in the 30th row, which is a preferred seat — part of the Preferred Seating program. In that case, what will you do?
Simple, you just purchase Preferred Seating and make it happen. Even United has something promising to say in this direction,
“Customers who are traveling on Basic Economy tickets are eligible to purchase Preferred Seating.”
That means — as discussed above — if you wish to shift from the 40th row to the 30th, it is going to cost you some fee. And, if you ask how it makes any difference, then listen:
Yes, of course, purchasing Preferred Seating makes you move way ahead from your current position, and thus that means priority on everything, e.g., boarding, deboarding, baggage delivery, etc. And this is what makes all the difference.
For purchasing the option or Preferred Seating, you can use the following TFN +1-805-270-2709, too.